Monday, 7 September 2015

Multiple Sclerosis messes up my day





I have multiple sclerosis, you know the disease where people think you get good days and bad days. I wish things were that simple. I have primary progressive Multiple Sclerosis, which basically means it has got and will continue to get progressively worse. Yep I was short changed on the good luck front when I copped my MS. Going back to good days and bad days, I am now moving closer to good hours and bad days. I got up this morning breakfasted and read a bit of yesterday's newspaper. I was cold in the front room and decided to move to the dinning room as the Sun was warming that room. I sat in the sunshine and promptly fell asleep. I was awoken by the telephone ringing, yes it was still in the front room. I whizzed round on my electric wheelchair and got to it just as it finishes. Luckily the ringing promptly returned and I answered it to discover my wife Heather who was visiting her mate, the one with cancer, was about to return home. I knew she would eventually come home and to be honest could have done without the rude awakening to learn something I already knew.
I went back to sit in the sunshine and was once again woken by the damned telephone but I had it close to hand this time. I had it on my lap along with yesterday's newspaper. I answered it to discover that Heathers sister was phoning to say she was back from church, now unless the United Reform church has taken to holding its congregation hostage I found this news pretty unamazing and for fear of being exceptionally rude cut the call short. My sleep was once again short lived as the sound of the front door opening put paid to any further chance of sleeping. The one good thing was I did get some food provided as a reward for the lack of sleep.
The bain of my life I struggle but please do not offer to help
 as I might bite your head off
My MS makes every single action more laboured.From getting out of bed in the morning I know I am going to struggle through the day. Heather has to dress me walking the short distance across the landing to the bathroom or the stairlift is exhausting. Once downstairs I spend my time in my wheelchair but  getting my feet onto the footplates requires someone to lift them on as I cannot do it for myself. I struggle to eat and now use weighted cutlery and even opening a packet of crisps is a mission. My MS has affected every aspect of my life. I cant wee and have a catheter and don't ask about doing a poo. But in all this I keep smiling as if I didn't smile I may certainly be crying.


All this and more MUCH MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love to see your comments but will delete defamatory comments.