Thursday, 26 June 2014

Writers Block a win win situation



No one ever gets talker’s block. No one wakes up in the morning, discovers he has nothing to say, and sits quietly, for days or weeks, until the muse hits, until the moment is right, until all the craziness in his or her life has died down. Some unfortunate souls are unable to talk through illness or trauma and I did actually work with a chap who was a selective mute at school until he was eight years of  age. But writers are a completely different kettle of fish they dry up in the middle of a paragraph and then spend sometimes days or weeks before the creative juices start flowing again.
But why? What is the difference between prose and print and why is it so hard to convert between the two forms? I don't know why I am asking you the reader because you cannot explain your thoughts to me thus enabling me to reply to your thoughts  with the full force of my reasoned argument of reasoning as to why I may disagree or in some extreme circumstance agree with your thoughts and conclusions to the extreme. In person we could debate and counter and once over we could retire to our dens and recall the conversations. But  transferring those words onto paper to make them become the written word may not be so easy. As the saying goes there are two sides to every argument and even though you might think the resulting written revue of the said argument would be the same, I fear  you would be far from the truth. Two sides will always result in two stories, winner and looser so to speak. Perhaps that is why the story of war is always written by the winner and never the vanquished.
I have in the past attempted poetry. I say poetry I really mean words with meaning but to someone else the meaning may and most likely is lost. Sometimes it is lost even to me so what chance would anyone have just happening upon a few words hastily transferred from the recesses of my brain onto paper or as is most the more obvious route for my to get written word out there on a computer screen. I can type on a keyboard but am unable to grasp a pen and make eligible marks on a sheet of paper.
The fact I am now disabled with Multiple Sclerosis may be the reasoning behind my need to recall my thoughts and then in turn record them for others to share. I blog I tweet I Facebook and I belong to forums in the vain hope my words  will find homes  inside the brains of others. Is this why we all put pen to paper, in my case metaphorically speaking, and is this why we suffer writers blog I wonder. Maybe deep down we know that what we want is others to read would best be left just there deep down, down in that little space at the back of the sofa of life along with the lost pound coins and hair grips. We know that whatever we write no one really wants to read it!!! all they are doing  is filling in spaces in their day before they actually get round to doing the exciting stuff or if they work for the council may I hazard :-actually do some work. If you ever discover what the exciting stuff is let me know it might stop me writing this stuff and that in turn will save you having to read it and in salesman talk we all get to a win win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love to see your comments but will delete defamatory comments.