Saturday, 21 June 2014

Multiple Sclerosis and Diet

When I was first diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis some twenty odd years ago I can remember telling someone in a shop I had been diagnosed with MS. I still remember the reply I got even after all these years. Oh that's not too bad is it "Johns got that and he controls his with diet" I smiled politely and left. I feel I have tried most  things to help me with my MS including diet and nothing has helped. I have Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis the one where you get no remission. I have got gradually wore over those twenty plus years. I have met each new stage head on and hopefully with a smile on my face, but getting back to this diet subject how does eating affect MS? Well the answer is officially it doesn't. And I must say I never found any changes to my diet made the slightest bit of difference. I know the MS society have found no evidence that diet can help but they do recommend you follow a healthy diet.
Everyone needs to follow a healthy diet more and more people are suffering from Obesity and there is proof that the body needs a good healthy diet. The body is a complex machine and how it deals with food and drink is very clever but  to my mind one flaw is if you over eat or eat the wrong stuff say fatty foods or nuts or dairy products if you are allergic to them. The allergy thing is close  to me I have a grandson who is allergic to nuts and a daughter who suffer with a dairy products allergy. I suffer from MS so maybe diet is something I should consider. I know some people say the onset alzheimer's can be helped by eating a diet that is fruit and veg based but with no hard and fast evidence I am at a loss as what to believe. Maybe now the prime minister has vowed to defeat Alzheimers us with MS will get some drugs to help with Primary Progresive Multiple Sclerosis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love to see your comments but will delete defamatory comments.