Sunday, 7 July 2013

Sunshine sea and sand plus vitamin D

When I think back to my youth I was always out in the sunshine and had a great tan most of the year. Not any more, the hot weather zaps me like a taser gun so I have been avoiding the summer heat now that it has finally arrived. I stayed in and watched the tennis and I must congratulate Andy Murray on his marvelous Wimbledon win. The heat just increases my fatigue levels, if I sit in the sun it is like someone is pumping out the little bit of strength I do have  and leaving an empty space. I know I am not the only MS sufferer who the sunshine affects but the human body needs vitamin D and whilst it is available from foods the body produces it from being out in the sun. Herein lies the problem. If you are unable to get enough vitamin D from your food and you cant get out in the mid day sun how can you get your vitamin D?? I had blood tests earlier this year specifically to find out my level  of vitamin D and I was found to be severely lacking. I put it down to having been bed bound for a time. When I checked the web this was almost the head I read Symptoms of bone pain and muscle weakness can mean you have a vitamin D deficiency
I was prescribed a course of tablets to increase my levels. I have a good diet and eat healthy stuff so how did I become deficient? Well I recon I was not getting enough sunlight. The body produces vitamins by being exposed to sun  for about 10 to 15 minutes a day during the summer months. So if like me you find it difficult to get out I would advise you make the effort, not only will it do you good you will feel better. I went out yesterday and spent my time going under a tree to sit in the shade and then popping out into the sunshine. All good exercise and it was great to be outside, I even had an ice cream, so even though the temperature was high I kept cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love to see your comments but will delete defamatory comments.