Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Scooter versus wheelchair

I used to love running and as a parent I would think nothing of taking my kids on long walks. After a few miles they stop moaning! When I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis nearly twenty years ago I was still able to walk. I was told off for running when I was in for diagnosis by a staff nurse at Brook Hospital, she said I need to use my energy wisely and running would wear me out, she said stay fit but don't exhaust yourself. I spose it was about the best advice they could give, you find how you are going to react to exertion by doing stuff, I now know that I need to rest up after a trip out. I needed a couple of days recovering from my recent trip to the beach (I was asleep virtually 36 hours) So I got to thinking about wheelchair v scooter.
It sounds silly but they are completely different. I know one has a motor so no need to mail in.I don't have an electric wheelchair just a hard work one and I also have a scooter which is battery powered.I use them both very different. When I first needed a wheelchair I used to not want to go in it so I found I was missing out on things and I was depriving my friends and family of my legendary wit. I stayed at home and brushed up on my getting fed up skills. After a while I was very good at being fed up and people were escaping my legendary wit so I braved being pushed around. Obviously it aint the same as walking you have to end up where people take you, by that I often ended up in ladies lingerie when I was thinking I would rather be in men's wear. You are at the whim of the wheelchair pusher and you need to say MENS WEAR NEXT PLEASE because if you don't they wont know what you are thinking and you can come back from a shopping trip having done nothing for yourself and the only person you can blame is YOU. If you follow football you will know that communication is key to getting stuff done.
 A scooter is completely different I have had one of nearly ten years and it goes where I want to go so I can end up looking at tools in B & Q rather than curtains  or read the labels on all the exhibits in a museum and catch up with everyone at my pace. I can travel for about ten mile on one charge of the batteries which is a long way for someone to push a wheelchair so it means a full day is possible and less fatigue for all concerned.I hated my wheelchair when I first got it but it keeps you in touch with the real world. A scooter opens up a whole new world and gives you back a whole lot of independence. I have a wife who is five foot nothing in her stocking feet but who punches far above her weight so getting the scooter in the car is down to her andd she breaks it down to to managable components, there are all different scooters available, mine was the biggest we could get into the car so check with a mobility shop to make sure you can manage it with your life style they are very expensive so get it right.

2 comments:

  1. We are glad that you have the legendary scooter too as we don't want to be deprived of your wit and it doesn't half help your long suffering wife when you bugger off on your own for 10 mins while she looks at pants in M&S! and you can keep up with her as she's only got short leggies!! We think you are fab and love your company do keep scooting !! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suet I love your company too. When are you going to come round again?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love to see your comments but will delete defamatory comments.